Tostan is an international nonprofit organization headquartered in Dakar, Senegal and currently operating in six African countries. Our vision is human dignity for all. Our mission is to empower African communities to bring about sustainable development and positive social transformation based on respect for human rights. Tostan’s core values include the following: “communities first,” learning and innovation, partnership and dialogue, passion and pride in our work, and respect and humility toward others. Our organization is rapidly scaling its successful model across Africa. For more information, please visit: www.tostan.org.
Reporting to the Director of Communications, the translator will function as an integral part of the communications team based in Dakar, Senegal. The team is responsible for promoting and raising awareness of Tostan’s work internationally and supporting the work of the six countries in which Tostan implements our program. Translation responsibilities include both internal and external projects: PR and external relations, social media and web, design and visual media, project support, and interpersonal communications.
Roles & Responsibilities
- The Translator will be responsible primarily for assisting the communications department with translation needs.
- Translate documents and texts, including website content, press releases, stories, newsletters, fact sheets and other print and digital collateral
- Work with staff to produce publicity and support materials in French and English including PowerPoint presentations, brochures, and video.
- Translate reports and proposals for the wider organization as needed.
- Manage other volunteer translators.
- On occasion, act as a translator or interpreter when assisting high profile donors and visitors to Tostan’s program in Senegal.
This position is based in Dakar, Senegal at Tostan’s International Headquarters.
Key Qualifications & Selection Criteria
- Relevant undergraduate degree
- Fluency in written and spoken English and French is essential (writing samples in both languages required); proficiency in Wolof and/or Pulaar or other African languages desired
Knowledge & Experience
- Minimum of five years previous experience, or three years plus a Master’s degree, as a translator ( both written and oral); experience in a non-profit or non-governmental environment preferred
- Experience translating from English into French, and from French into English
- Experience working in Africa or another developing world country preferred
- Translation certification strongly preferred
- Strong computer skills in Microsoft Office Suite, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Knowledge of Gmail, Google Groups, Google Documents, Google Calendar, and other internet programs
- Ability to be patient and diplomatic, and to establish mutual respect among Tostan staff, project partners, and local community members
- Strong communication and organizational skills
- Excellent attention to detail
- Ability work under pressure and meet multiple quick deadlines
- Flexibility to adapt to a multicultural environment, to work in varied conditions, to be considerate of limited resources, to speak in public, and to adapt work priorities to the immediate needs of the project or donor
How to Apply
Send your CV, cover letter, and two translation samples via email to email@example.com. Deadline to apply is April 29th, 2016.
Please put ‘Translator’ as the email subject. Please note, incomplete applications will not be considered.
Tostan is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate all applicants without unlawful considerations of race, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.