Tostan is an international nonprofit organization currently working in six African countries and headquartered in Dakar, Senegal. Our vision is “Dignity for all.” Our mission is to empower African communities to bring about sustainable development and positive social transformation based on respect for human rights. Tostan’s core values include the following: communities first, learning and innovation, partnership and dialogue, passion and pride in our work, respect and humility toward others. Our organization is rapidly scaling its successful model across Africa.
The function of the Global Mobilization team is to coordinate and manage the external relationships of Tostan and secure the financial and in-kind resources necessary for Tostan to achieve its strategic goals. It is in charge of maintaining a broad base of flexible, sustainable partnerships with engaged supporters and donors.
Strategic Communications and Growth Specialist
We are looking for an experienced Strategic Communications and Growth Specialist to provide strategic communications support to fulfill the Tostan Global Mobilization team’s vision that Tostan will achieve mission fulfillment when ample resources flow through a local and global network that is determined to see “Dignity for All” realized.
Ideal candidates will be based on the West Coast of the United States, preferably the Bay Area.
- Lead on developing communications strategy for an international organization with bases in more than 8 countries
- Lead the co-design and development of tools, collaterals and facilitation of global support network
- New media outreach, engagement and distribution
- Support West Africa-based Public Relations Mobilizer to direct grassroots stories within communications strategy
- Identifying and prioritizing event and inflection points in own network and region
- Key messaging and PR support at conferences
- Mentor West Africa-based staff on communications strategy, internal support for all departments staying on brand and message
West Coast Strategic Outreach & Relationship Management
- Identifying, nurturing and converting philanthropy leads in own network and region
- Relationship management and cultivation of key current donors, including representation at external meetings as desired
- Co-develop a donor network strengthening strategy with Global Partnerships Specialist
- Introductions, research and networking to appropriate philanthropic and family foundations and high net worth individuals
- Organizing outreach events and program visits
Qualifications and Selection Criteria
- 10+ years experience in PR, marketing or other communications role
- Excellent communication abilities (oral and written)
- Strong attention to detail
- Flexible and able to manage multiple tasks and deadlines
- Organizational skills
- English fluency and intermediate-level French oral and written skills
- Must be willing and able to travel internationally and domestically
- Ability to build rapport with a diverse workforce in multicultural settings
- Must keep flexible hours to connect and work with West Africa based team
- BA/BS required; in Communications, Marketing, Business, New Media or Public Relations preferred
How to apply
Please send a CV and letter of motivation to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Strategic Communications & Growth Specialist”.