Tostan is an international nonprofit organization headquartered in Dakar, Senegal and currently operating in six African countries. Our vision is human dignity for all. Our mission is to empower African communities to bring about sustainable development and positive social transformation based on respect for human rights. Tostan’s core values include the following: “communities first,” learning and innovation, partnership and dialogue, passion and pride in our work, and respect and humility toward others. Our organization is rapidly scaling its successful model across Africa. For more information, please visit:www.tostan.org.
- Work with donors and colleagues across Tostan to ensure the leanest possible reporting system, whilst providing for donor engagement and organisational learning and innovation
- Create and implement efficient policies, systems and rules for opening, managing and closing grants
- Refine processes and policies in collaboration with National Coordinators and other departments, to ensure effective and timely reporting to donors
- Take the lead on moving Grants into full Salesforce integration
- Maintain active grants list and reporting calendar
- Ensure effective hand-off from grant-seeking team to headquarters staff and project implementers in the field
- Streamline administrative aspects of each grant to ensure maximum efficiency
- Facilitate a clear understanding of each relevant staff member’s role and responsibilities
- Work with finance and project staff to plan, analyze and make any necessary adjustments to meet the set objectives within the project life cycle
- Track project budgeting, workplans and reporting and take ownership of any issues that need to be resolved that may delay projects
- Ensure that grants are completed on time
- Ensure that all internal systems comply with funder regulations
- Lead monthly meeting with senior management to review each active project
- Other responsibilities, as deemed appropriate by the Chief Operating Officer, will be included as part of the role
- Work closely with Development and Executive Team to plan the creation of upcoming concepts and proposals
- Manage the Grants team’s ongoing participation in Proposal Development process
- Ensure grants team is communicating with grant-makers and other donors in accordance with Tostan’s relationship management systems
- Take part in cross-departmental strategic decision-making as member of Senior Support Team
- Supervises: 2 Grants Team Project Officers and 1 Project Manager
- Number of Staff Managed: 3
Budget Managed: Grants Department budget – modest
Key Qualifications and Selection Criteria
Fluent in written and spoken English and French. Portuguese an advantage.
Knowledge & Experience
- Strong organizational skills
- Basic computer and networking experience
- Financial knowledge of budgeting, reporting, etc.
- Familiarity with presentation technology
- Leadership and management skills
- Writing and editing skills
- 5-7 years of experience in budgeting and reporting, as well as financial aspects of grants management in an international non-profit organization
- Experience in project management and grants administration
- Experience improving and implementing effective systems in an organization
- Experience in a multinational organization or an organization with multiple regional offices would be an asset
- Believes strongly in Tostan’s mission to empower African communities to bring about sustainable development and positive social transformation based on respect for human rights
- Functions effectively in a multi-lingual, multi-cultural work environment
- Works efficiently in a hands-on environment with limited resources
- Demonstrates gender awareness, cultural sensitivity, empathy and respect for people and different points of view
- Develops and manages positive working relationships at all levels, acting with diplomacy, tact and integrity
- Maintains a positive and cooperative attitude
- Has an encouraging, empowering and supportive team spirit
- Is a strategic thinker and demonstrates sound judgment
- Is a clear communicator with an open, honest and straightforward manner
- Is resilient, takes initiative and is persistent under pressure
The position is located in Dakar, Senegal, at Tostan’s International Office.
Reports to: Chief Operating Officer
Please send your current resume and cover letter including a list of references to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
Please ensure you put “Senior Grants Manager” as the email subject.
The deadline for applications is May 25, 2015.
Please note, incomplete applications will not be considered.
Tostan is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate all applicants without unlawful considerations of race, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.