Tostan is an international nonprofit organization currently working in six African countries and headquartered in Dakar, Senegal. Our vision is “Dignity for all.” Our mission is to empower African communities to bring about sustainable development and positive social transformation based on respect for human rights. Tostan’s core values include the following: communities first, learning and innovation, partnership and dialogue, passion and pride in our work, respect and humility toward others. Our organization is rapidly scaling its successful model across Africa.
For more information, please visit: www.tostan.org.
The function of the Global Mobilization team is to coordinate and manage the external relationships of Tostan and secure the financial and in-kind resources necessary for Tostan to achieve its strategic goals. It is in charge of maintaining and growing a broad base of flexible, sustainable partnerships with engaged supporters and donors.
The Public Relations Mobilizer reports directly to the Global Partnerships Specialist, who is based in the United States.
We are looking for a Public Relations (PR) Mobilizer to coordinate PR activities for the Tostan International office in Dakar, Senegal and six country offices. You will ensure key staff have effective communication with stakeholders, media and the public. In this position you will take a “leading from behind” approach and support and prepare the program staff in 6 country offices to represent the organization at critical points, and also to keep them up to date on and involved in global conversations related to their work.
You will cultivate a positive image of Tostan’s work by ensuring authentic local voices lead Tostan’s discourse in many key thought leadership areas. You will help fulfill the Global Mobilization Team’s vision that Tostan will achieve mission fulfillment when ample resources flow through a local and global network that is determined to see “Dignity for All” realized.
You should be an excellent communicator in English and French with strong attention to detail. As a PR Mobilizer, you should be an organized and cool-tempered professional who is able to handle a crisis. We expect you to have a creative mind and excellent communication skills. If you also speak one or more national West African languages, we’d like to meet you.
- Follow the PR approach and the mandate collectively designed by the Tostan’s Global Mobilization Team, of which you are a part
- Manage PR events and issues occurring in West Africa
- Contribute to the collaborative design of PR campaigns and media relations strategies
- Work closely with internal teams (e.g. programs and Monitoring Evaluation Research and Learning team) and maintain open communication with your supervisor and the Global Communications and Marketing Specialist
- Collaborate with programs to identify spokespeople, manage reputation, identify key players and coordinate actions
- Support the design of promotional material and publications (brochures, videos, social media posts, etc.) to serve all six national offices, and Tostan International, as well as sister organizations and supporter groups around the globe
- Contribute to and distribute press releases, and address inquiries from the media and other parties
- Organize PR events (e.g. open days, press conferences) and serve as the company’s spokesperson
- Identify and communicate opportunities for partnerships, sponsorships, and advertising. Follow up as decided within team strategy
- Prepare and submit PR reports as a part of the quarterly Global Mobilization Team reporting process
Qualifications And Selection Criteria
- Proven experience as a Public Relations Officer or similar PR role
- Proficient in English and French, preferred proficient in Wolof or Pulaar
- Demonstrated ability to mentor and coach others in a PR role, such as executive coaching, leadership skills development, etc
- Experience managing media relations (online, broadcast, and print)
- Background in researching, writing and editing publications
- Preferred proficient with Microsoft Applications, inDesign, Google Drive, Trello, Salesforce and social media
- Familiarity with video/photo editing is a plus
- Strong communication ability (oral and written)
- Entrepreneurial and collaborative
- Excellent organizational skills
- Ability to work well under pressure
- Creativity and problem-solving aptitude
- Preferred BSc/BA in Public Relations, Journalism, Communications or a related field, but not required
Global Mobilization Team
Global Partnerships Specialist, based in the US
How to Apply:
Send your CV and a Cover Letter via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please send with “Public Relations Mobilizer” as the email subject. We are accepting applications until February 8, 2018. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Interviews will be held the week of February 12, 2018.
Tostan is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate all applicants without unlawful considerations of race, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.