Tostan, a US 501(c)(3) organization founded in Senegal in 1991, is dedicated to educating and empowering Africans who have had little or no access to formal schooling. Tostan’s community-led programs have resulted in thousands of villages deciding to abandon the practices of child/forced marriage and female genital cutting, as well as to increase formal education of their children, use problem-solving and literacy skills to generate income and support local economies, and incorporate regular healthcare.
Tostan’s Generational Change in Three Years (GC3Y) campaign aims to build on the momentum currently growing across West Africa for a historic, large-scale movement for the abandonment of harmful practices, the empowerment of girls and women, and the promotion of human rights. This campaign has led to significant interest from a wide range of new and potential partners and resulted in a number of already meaningfully involved stakeholders deepening their relationship with the organization.
The GC3Y project is the first phase of this campaign, targeting 150 villages across four countries in West Africa, and reaching 240,000 people.
Reporting to the Director of Grants Management, the GC3Y Project Manager (PM) is responsible for the overall implementation of the activities in four National Offices, in accordance to the work plan. The PM will oversee the planning and monitoring and reporting on this project, ensuring that the project is on track, deadlines are met, and regular updates are submitted to key internal and external stakeholders. The PM is also responsible for ensuring the quality of activity implementation and the overall integrity of the project.
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Coordination between national offices (Mali, Guinee Conakry, Guinee Bissau, Mauritania) and International Headquarters office
- Regular communication with national offices
- Activity and financial planning in collaboration with national offices
- Track project budgeting, work plans and reporting and ensure that any deviation is proactively identified and follow up with appropriate corrective actions.
- Overall responsibility for writing/editing project reports and assurance that the deadlines are met
- Review and feedback on internal narrative and financial reports
- Continuously evaluate the quality of interventions and support improvements as necessary
- In collaboration with Project Officers, identify areas for capacity building in national offices and provide training and/or coaching to ensure that project implementation is of the highest quality
- With the support of the project officers, ensure that relevant field staff are informed and comply with the funder requirements
- Ensure that National Coordinators and field staff are provided with the information and support they require in order to manage the project efficiently
- Conduct regular visits to field offices and project sites
This position is located in Dakar, Senegal, in Tostan’s international headquarters.
- Highly self-motivated and detail oriented, this individual is an asset to the team and is depended upon to track and communicate all project deadlines and to manage the delivery of accurate, high-quality reports
- Ability to build strong working relationships, both in-person and virtually
- Fluent in both English and French
- At least 3-5 years of project management and report writing experience in a non-profit or development field.
- At least 2 years managing budgets
- Team player, you are comfortable in working, under pressure and in a multicultural environment
- Master’s degree preferred.
- Believes strongly in Tostan’s mission to empower African communities to bring about sustainable development and positive social transformation based on respect for human rights.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Please email resume and thoughtful cover letter, outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position and stating how you heard about this opportunity, to email@example.com with Project Manager in the Subject Line. The deadline for applications is November 24th. Please be prepared to submit references should you be contacted for an interview.
Tostan is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate all applicants without unlawful considerations of race, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.