Job Description: Project Manager
Apply by 7 December, 2018
Tostan, a US 501(c) (3) organization founded in Senegal in 1991, is an international nonprofit organization headquartered in Dakar, Senegal and currently operating in five West African countries. Our vision is human dignity for all. Our mission is to empower African communities to bring about sustainable development and positive social transformation based on respect for human rights. Tostan’s core values include the following: communities first, learning and innovation, partnership and dialogue, passion and pride in our work, and respect and humility toward others. Our organization is rapidly scaling its successful model across Africa.
Within a dynamic and professional team, the Project Manager will oversee the planning, monitoring, analysis, and reporting of major projects across multiple countries, ensuring that these projects are on track, budgets are used according to agreed terms with donors, deadlines are met, and regular updates are submitted to key internal and external stakeholders. The project manager will also actively participate in fundraising efforts and lead project planning processes as part of Tostan’s growth efforts. We are a team of young and dynamic professionals and we are looking for an efficient and solution-oriented colleague who has experience in project management and is fluent in English with a good working knowledge of French.
Duration of the contract: 2 years
Roles and Responsibilities
- Oversee the planning, monitoring, analysis, and reporting of projects under his/her portfolio, ensuring that these projects are on track, reporting deadlines are met, and regular updates are submitted to key internal and external stakeholders.
- Lead the proposal development process for all assigned projects, and ensure an effective and timely contribution from the field offices and various internal stakeholders.
- Coordinate between national offices and international headquarters departments (Program, Finance, MERL etc.) for project development, monitoring and reporting.
- Regular communication with national offices to identify and provide support as needed.
- Coordinate activity and financial planning in collaboration with national offices and Tostan International departments.
- Track project budgeting, work plans and reporting, and ensure that any deviation is proactively identified and follow up with appropriate corrective actions.
- Overall responsibility for writing/editing project reports, and assurance that the deadlines are met.
- Review and feedback on internal narrative and financial reports to promote quality improvement of reports submitted externally.
- Continuously evaluate the quality of reporting and support improvements as necessary.
- In collaboration with colleagues, identify areas for capacity-building in national offices and provide training and/or coaching to ensure that project management is of the highest quality.
- Ensure that relevant staff members of all departments are informed of donor requirements; work closely with all departments to ensure compliance. Provide technical support to assess donor eligibility of planned expenditures and identify related compliance requirements.
- Ensure that National Coordinators and field staff are provided with the information and support they require in order to manage the project efficiently.
- Conduct visits to project sites to support field offices as necessary.
- Support donor visits to the field when falling under his/her portfolio, in close collaboration with relevant teams.
- Support the development and improvement of internal processes related to fundraising, reporting, capacity building etc.
- Comply with the information management tools used by the team and support improvement initiatives (use of Salesforce.)
This position is located in Dakar, Senegal, in Tostan’s international headquarters.
- BA required and Master’s degree preferred in development studies, international relations, project management or any other related field.
- Fluent in English with working proficiency in French required.
- Highly self-motivated and detail oriented, this individual is an asset to the team and is depended upon to track and communicate all project deadlines and to manage the delivery of accurate, high-quality reports.
- Ability to build strong working relationships, both in-person and virtually, strong communication skills.
- At least 5 years of project management and reporting experience in a non-profit or development field, with good budget management skills.
- Team player, you are comfortable in working under pressure and in a multicultural environment.
- Believes strongly in Tostan’s mission to empower African communities to bring about sustainable development and positive social transformation based on respect for human rights.
How To Apply:
If you are interested in this position, please submit a cover letter and resume in English to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line reading: “Project Manager Application” by 7 December, 2018.
Anticipated interview week: 17-21 December, 2018. Expected starting date: January 2019.
Tostan is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate all applicants without unlawful considerations of race, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.