Tostan, a US 501(c)(3) organization founded in Senegal in 1991, is an international nonprofit organization headquartered in Dakar, Senegal and currently operating in six African countries. Our vision is human dignity for all. Our mission is to empower African communities to bring about sustainable development and positive social transformation based on respect for human rights. Tostan’s core values include the following: “communities first,” learning and innovation, partnership and dialogue, passion and pride in our work, and respect and humility toward others. Our organization is rapidly scaling its successful model across Africa.
Roles & Responsibilities:
The Philanthropy Consultant will support the Director of Philanthropy, CEO, Founder/Creative Director and other lead staff’s efforts to secure funds for Tostan during year end campaign. This will include managing a group of assigned, qualified donors (caseload) ensuring that as many as possible are retained as continuing donors to the organization and are upgraded in their giving and involvement; co-creating and managing online fundraising presence and campaigns, including social media and personal communications from key staff. Will support planning and execution of events. Reports to Director of Philanthropy.
Collective generosity promotes wellbeing and innovation.
Works remotely from location near Director of Philanthropy. Will need access to transportation and willingness to travel to various locations for meetings.
- This is a 4 month trial contract with possible renewal if the arrangement works.
- Compensation rates equivalent with junior/secondary staff level in the Pioneer Valley of Massachusetts.
Key Qualifications and Selection Criteria:
- Regular meetings with the Director of Philanthropy to set goals, track progress, and co-create donor communications efforts.
- Will work directly with the Director of Philanthropy to qualify a group of caseload donors and appropriate group and subgroup communications plans tied back to fundraising campaigns, which will be provided.
- Will create goals for individuals or subgroups on his or her caseload based on the donor’s history of giving and the organization’s knowledge of that donor’s potential.
- Will work with other departments as needed to secure appropriate project information, including budgets, and create offers, proposals and asks that will be used with persons on the caseload to secure gifts, as needed.
- Ability to give direction on the creation of an ask plan that takes into account the individual donor’s interest, motivations, giving patterns and ask preferences, for each donor on his or her caseload, in a timely and cost-effective manner, and retains and upgrades donors.
- Ability to secure project and organization information and create and write effective offers, proposals and asks. Ability to secure information that can be sent back to donors to report on how their money was used.
- Ability to manage process, deadlines and budget while adhering to the policies and procedures of the organization and ability to get along with peers and management and maintain a positive and constructive attitude while solving problems. Ability to protect the mission, goals and values of the organization.
- Bachelor’s degree
- At least 2 years related work experience in fundraising and/or donor communications.
- Proficient knowledge of MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Passionate commitment to international development and empowering women and girls.
Preference given to:
Candidates who are French/English bilingual, candidates who have experience living or working in West Africa and with West African culture, and those with experience using Salesforce, MailChimp, Trello and other online fundraising communications tools.
How to Apply:
Send your CV and Cover Letter via email to [email protected]. Please put “PHILANTHROPY CONSULTANT” as the email subject. We are accepting applications until September 1st, 2017. Please note, incomplete applications will not be considered.
Tostan is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate all applicants without unlawful considerations of race, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.