The Grants Volunteer-Intern position at Tostan’s headquarters in Dakar, Senegal, provides opportunities for understanding how a Human Rights-based approach can influence social change and support community-led development. The Volunteer-Intern will gain project management skills as well as a good understanding of resource development strategies as part of a young, dynamic and pro-active team. We are looking for someone who will become an integral part of the team, contributing to our common efforts to improve Tostan’s resource management and development.
Tostan is a US 501(c)(3) organization that was founded in Senegal in 1991 in order to educate and empower Africans who have had little or no access to formal schooling. Tostan’s community-led program, the Community Empowerment Program (CEP), has achieved results including: declared abandonment of the practices of female genital cutting and child/forced marriage by thousands of villages; increased enrollment in formal education for children; increased use of problem solving and literacy skills to generate income and further develop local economies; and increased access to healthcare.
Roles & Responsibilities:
The Volunteer-Intern will progressively gain a project portfolio to monitor and support and will support fundraising efforts through the research of international trends and potential donors. The role will include some administrative tasks, which are shared amongst all team members. Some field missions (depending on the availability of funds) will also provide the opportunity to gain a greater understanding of the programs.
Reporting to the Senior Grants Manager, the Volunteer-Intern will coordinate several projects falling under his/her portfolio. He/she will provide support to the team to improve information flow and identify development trends/opportunities for Tostan. He/she will also support the development and writing of new proposals, write/edit project reports, review financial reports and ensure consistent communication with key stakeholders.
The Volunteer-Intern will:
- Provide support (including administrative support) to the Grants Team, which is in charge of developing, monitoring and reporting on projects as well as fundraising activities with institutional donors alongside our Philanthropy Team.
- Keep Tostan abreast of International Development trends through the research and identification of local and international opportunities to raise the visibility of Tostan amongst Development actors in the Region
- Develop proposals and coordinate contributions from various internal stakeholders
- Ensure coordination and information sharing between various projects stakeholders, both internally and externally, reporting to donors and coordinating project revisions (Action Plan and Budget) when needed
- Track project budgets and action plans, report and proactively flag any deviations, and follow-up with the appropriate corrective actions
- Write/edit project reports in collaboration with internal stakeholders
- Work closely with all departments to ensure compliance with donors requirements
- Maintain and comply with the grant information management, tracking, filing and retrieval system to ensure that it provides easy and immediate access to grant-related information
- Have the possibility to participate in some field visits to better understand the Program and interact with donors (conditional to funds availability)
Tostan International, in Dakar, Senegal
Key Qualifications & Selection Criteria:
- Masters in International Development, Human Rights, Law, or other relevant field
- Excellent command of written and spoken French and English
Knowledge & Experience
- Strong organizational skills
- Excellent computer skills
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- At least 2 years in a non-profit or development sector
- Experience working in a multicultural environment
- Grants management experience an advantage
- Highly self-motivated and detail oriented, this individual is an asset to the team and is depended upon to track and communicate projects deadlines and to manage the delivery of accurate, high-quality reports and proposals
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to build strong working relationships, both in-person and remotely
- Team player, willing to actively support the team
- Believes strongly in Tostan’s mission to empower African communities to bring about sustainable development and positive social transformation based on respect for human rights.
Senior Grants Manager
Volunteer-Intern – Full-time – preferably 6 months period
The Volunteer-Intern will be compensated 150,000FCFA/month
How to Apply:
Send your CV and Cover Letter via email to [email protected]. Please send with “GRANTS – Projects Volunteer-Intern” as the email subject. We are accepting applications until June 16, 2017. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Tostan is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate all applicants without unlawful considerations of race, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.