Tostan is an international nonprofit organization currently working in six African countries and headquartered in Dakar, Senegal. Our vision is “Dignity for all.” Our mission is to empower African communities to bring about sustainable development and positive social transformation based on respect for human rights. Tostan’s core values include the following: communities first, learning and innovation, partnership and dialogue, passion and pride in our work, respect and humility toward others. Our organization is rapidly scaling its successful model across Africa.
The function of the Global Mobilization team is to coordinate and manage the external relationships of Tostan and secure the financial and in-kind resources necessary for Tostan to achieve its strategic goals. It is in charge of maintaining a broad base of flexible, sustainable partnerships with engaged supporters and donors.
The Global Message Mobilizer reports directly to the Global Partnerships Specialist, who is based in the United States.
We are looking for an experienced Global Message Mobilizer to provide translation, social media and online communications and administrative and logistical support to fulfil the Tostan Global Mobilization team’s vision that Tostan will achieve mission fulfillment when ample resources flow through a local and global network that is determined to see “Dignity for All” realized.
In this role, you should be an excellent communicator in English and French with strong attention to detail. It is an added bonus if you speak one or more national West African languages. Ultimately, your goal will be to help ensure clear communication of Tostan’s message across all channels and to support fundraising and communications in bringing new time, talent and treasure to Tostan.
- Build and execute social media strategy through competitive research, platform determination, benchmarking, messaging and audience identification
- Maintain, update and advise on the Tostan website in WordPress format
- Generate, edit, publish and share daily content (original text, images, video or HTML) that builds meaningful connections and encourages community members to take action
- Support with translation and editing of publications and new content as needed but not as an organization-wide resource
- Support executive team members in establishing and managing their own social media pages, through which they support Tostan’s PR agenda
- Set up and optimize pages within each platform to increase the visibility of social content
- Moderate all user-generated content in line with the moderation policy for each community
- Track and maintain editorial calendars and production schedules
- Continuously improve by capturing and analyzing the appropriate social data/metrics, insights and best practices, and then acting on the information
- Coordinate logistics and provide story support for any technical team, press or otherwise who is visiting Tostan programs
- Support intern contributions, blogs and lower level content
- Assist in maintaining web content and executing social media strategies
- Update databases and media lists
Qualifications and Selection Criteria
- Fluent in English and French, with preference given to candidates with a local West African language as well
- Proven working experience in social media marketing or as a digital media specialist
- Excellent consulting, writing, editing (photo/video/text), presentation and communication skills
- Demonstrable social networking experience and social analytics tools knowledge
- Adequate knowledge of web design, web development, CRO and SEO
- Knowledge of online marketing and good understanding of major marketing channels
- Positive attitude, detail and customer oriented with good multitasking and organizational ability
- Proven experience as a Communications Assistant or similar role
- Understanding of media relations and digital media strategies
- Proficient in MS Office; familiarity with design software (e.g. Photoshop, InDesign) and content management systems is a plus
- WordPress experience or other similar platform
- Solid editing and researching skills
- Excellent communication abilities (oral and written)
- Strong attention to detail
- Organizational skills
- BS in Communications, Marketing, Business, New Media or Public Relations preferred
Global Mobilization Team
Global Partnerships Specialist, based in the US
How to Apply:
Send your CV and a Cover Letter via email to email@example.com. Please send with “Global Message Mobilizer” as the email subject. We are accepting applications until February 8, 2018. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Interviews will be held the week of February 12, 2018.
Tostan is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate all applicants without unlawful considerations of race, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.