Tostan is an international nonprofit organization currently working in six African countries and headquartered in Dakar, Senegal. Our vision is “Dignity for all.” Our mission is to empower African communities to bring about sustainable development and positive social transformation based on respect for human rights. Tostan’s core values include the following: communities first, learning and innovation, partnership and dialogue, passion and pride in our work, respect and humility toward others. Our organization is rapidly scaling its successful model across Africa. For more information, please visit: www.tostan.org.
Chief Executive Officer
Executive Team at Tostan International
The Executive Assistant post supports the Executive Team in our headquarters in Dakar to fulfill administrative tasks essential to the completion of strategic and programmatic duties and ultimately to all levels of Tostan’s organizational operations.
The Executive Assistant serves as the primary point of contact for internal and external constituencies on all matters pertaining to the Executive Team. The Executive Assistant must be creative and enjoy working within a small, NGO environment that is mission-driven, results-driven, and community oriented. The ideal individual will have the ability to exercise good judgment in a variety of situations, with strong written and verbal communication, administrative and organizational skills, and the ability to maintain a realistic balance among multiple priorities. The Executive Assistant will have the ability to work independently on projects, from conception to completion, and must be able to work under pressure at times to handle a wide variety of activities and confidential matters with discretion.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Coordinates the executive calendar and encourages departments to update organizational planning calendar
- Ensures that the Executive Team is aware of and appropriately engaged with all scheduled responsibilities and activities
- Organizes travel, including reserving plane tickets, ground transportation, hotels, and putting together itineraries for the Executive team
- Reminds the CEO of daily tasks that have not been completed
- Maintains an efficient filing and organizational system that is highly functional in the day-to-day and readily accessible (both hard-copy and electronic)
- Ensures that the Executive team is prepared in a timely way for all meetings and appearances, and review all briefing material and draft speeches prepared by others
- Successfully completes critical aspects of deliverables with a hands-on approach, including drafting acknowledgement letters, personal correspondence, and other tasks that facilitate the Executive Team’s ability to effectively lead the organization
- Prepares the Executive Team’s expense reports and assists the CEO in processing expensive reimbursement reports
- Performs any other related duty as requested by the CEO
Senior Management Liaison :
- Participates as an adjunct member of the Executive Team, including assisting in scheduling meetings, building meeting agendas and attending meetings when requested
- Takes minutes for the Senior Support Team weekly meetings and coordinates all follow-up tasks
- Assists in coordinating the agenda of the Senior Support Team meetings and all-staff meetings
Communications, Partnership and Outreach:
- Ensures that the Executive team’s bios are kept updated and responds to requests for materials regarding the CEO and the organization in general
Board Support and Liaison :
- Assists board members with travel arrangements, lodging, and meal planning as needed.
- Maintains discretion and confidentiality in relationships with all board members
- Adhere to compliance with all applicable rules and regulations set in bylaws regarding board and board committee matters, including advanced distribution of materials before meetings in electronic/paper format
Visitor Support and Liaison :
- Assists visiting donors, partners, journalists and others with travel arrangements, lodging, and meal planning as needed
- Coordinates with logistics, communications, national / regional teams and
- With the Executive team, programs, training, and grants team, helps ensure all visitors have access to basic resources and information about West Africa, specific countries, Tostan’s model and methods, as well as opportunities to engage with the organization in constructive ways following methods shown to work
KEY QUALIFICATIONS AND SELECTION CRITERIA
- Bachelor’s degree required, liberal arts preferred
- Fluent in English and French.
Knowledge & Experience:
- Administrative experience supporting C-Level Executives, preferably in a non-profit organization
- Knowledge of Gmail, Google Groups, Google Documents, Google Calendars, and other Internet programs
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint), and Adobe Acrobat
- Outstanding organizational skills
- Ability to define and meet organizational needs with minimum supervision and oversight, and manage multiple tasks at once
- Discretion and confidentiality
- Ability to work independently on projects, from conception to completion, and must be able to work under pressure at times to handle a wide variety of activities.
- Very strong interpersonal skills and the ability to build relations with stakeholders, including staff, board members, external partners and donors.
- Expert level written and verbal communication skills
- Emotional maturity
How to apply
Please send a CV and a Cover letter via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please send with “Executive Assistant” in the subject line. We are accepting applications until April 12, 2018. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Tostan is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate all applicants without unlawful considerations of race, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.