Tostan is a US 501(c)(3) organization that was founded in Senegal in 1991 in order to educate and empower Africans who have had little or no access to formal schooling. Tostan’s community-led program, the Community Empowerment Program (CEP), has achieved results including: declared abandonment of the practices of female genital cutting and child/forced marriage by thousands of villages; increased enrollment in formal education for children; increased use of problem solving and literacy skills to generate income and further develop local economies; and increased access to healthcare.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Create and implement efficient policies, systems, and rules for opening, managing, and closing grants
- Refine processes and policies to ensure effective and timely reporting to donors
- Advise on the selection of a grants database, and take the lead in making it operational
- Maintain active grants list and reporting calendar
- Ensure effective hand-off from grant-seeking team to headquarters staff and project implementers in the field
- Streamline administrative aspects of each grant to ensure maximum efficiency
- Facilitate a clear understanding of each relevant staff member’s role and responsibilities
- Work with finance and project staff to plan, analyze, and make any necessary adjustments to meet the set objectives within the project life cycle
- Track project budgeting, workplans, and reporting and take ownership of any issues that need to be resolved that may delay projects
- Ensure that grants are completed on time
- Ensure that all internal systems comply with funder regulations
- Lead monthly meeting with senior management to review each active project
- Other responsibilities, as deemed appropriate by the Chief Operating Officer, will be included as part of the role
The position is located in Dakar, Senegal at Tostan’s Headquarters.
Key Qualifications & Selection Criteria
Master’s degree required, Ph.D. preferred
Fluent in written and spoken French and English.
Knowledge & Experience
- Strong organizational skills
- Basic computer and networking experience
- Financial knowledge of budgeting, reporting, etc.
- Familiarity with presentation technology
- Leadership and management skills
- Writing and editing skills
- 7-10 years of experience in budgeting and reporting, as well as financial aspects of grants management in an international nonprofit organization
- Experience in project management and grants administration
- Experience improving and implementing effective systems in an organization
- Experience in a multinational organization or an organization with multiple regional offices would be an asset.
- Believes strongly in Tostan’s mission to empower African communities to bring about sustainable development and positive social transformation based on respect for human rights
- Functions effectively in a multi-lingual, multi-cultural work environment
- Works efficiently in a hands-on environment with limited resources
- Demonstrates cultural sensitivity, empathy and respect for people and different points of view
- Develops and manages positive working relationships at all levels, acting with diplomacy, tact and integrity
- Maintains a positive and cooperative attitude
- Has an encouraging, empowering and supportive team spirit
- Is a strategic thinker and demonstrates sound judgment
- Is a clear communicator with an open, honest and straightforward manner
- Is resilient, takes initiative and is persistent under pressure.
How to Apply
Send your CV and Cover Letter via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put ‘Director of Grants Management’ as the email subject. Please note, incomplete applications will not be considered. Deadline to Apply: May, 30, 2013.
Tostan is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate all applicants without unlawful considerations of race, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.