Tostan is a non-profit organisation headquartered in Dakar, Senegal currently operating in six West African countries, focusing on community empowerment and its impact on governance, education, health, economic empowerment and the environment.
As CFO you will develop and lead Tostan’s financial strategy, and ensure that strategies are implemented effectively and nimbly throughout the organization. You will serve as a key member of the organization’s Senior Leadership Team and partner with the Board of Directors. Working closely with the CEO and managing a growing team of professionals, you will attend to the day-to-day financial business of the organization, strengthen the organization’s financial health, management and forecasting, and to lead the development of effective systems, to allow the organization to manage its growth and increase its scale. This position is perfect for someone looking to work in an African-based organization, highly motivated by community led development.
You will be a qualified finance professional, preferably with an MBA. You will have at least ten years’ previous experience in accounting and finance with previous experience in a senior financial management role. You will also have direct experience and a deep knowledge of working with non-profit accounting software systems, and strong knowledge of financial modelling and forecasting. You must be fluent in both English and French.
The post is located in Thiès, Senegal, with frequent travel to Dakar, Senegal, as well as to the other regional offices in the organisation’s countries of presence.
As part of their commitment to finding the highest-calibre candidates for this role, Tostan is working in collaboration with the recruitment service of Humentum, dedicated to advancing operational excellence for social good.
Tostan is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization headquartered in Dakar, Senegal and currently operating in six West African countries. Strategically, the organization is committed to continuing to develop its core competency of empowering education and to documenting and scaling the sustainable impact it creates across a range of issues. Tostan’s flagship model, the 3-Year Community Empowerment Program (CEP), has already reached thousands of communities in both West and East Africa since 1991. Outcomes in governance, education, health, economic empowerment, and the environment are currently tracked, and Tostan has been particularly proud to play a significant role in the large-scale empowerment of women and girls and the community-led abandonment of harmful practices such as female genital cutting and child marriage. New models for building partnerships with communities after the CEP, and for sharing Tostan’s approach with a range of local and global audiences, have joined powerful additions to the ever-evolving CEP to create a unique and exciting strategic moment.
In this exciting role, the CFO will develop and lead Tostan’s financial strategy, and ensure that strategies are implemented effectively and nimbly throughout the organization. In addition, s/he will serve as a key member of the organization’s Senior Leadership Team and partner with the Board of Directors. The CFO will work closely with and report to the CEO. S/he will manage a dedicated and growing team of professionals who attend to the day-to-day financial business of the organization, strengthen the organization’s financial health, management and forecasting, and to lead the development of effective systems, to allow the organization to manage its growth and increase its scale. The CFO will provide hands-on leadership to ensure sound financial management and efficient operations within the organization. This position is perfect for someone looking to work in an African-based organization, highly motivated by community led development.
Roles & Responsibilities:
Strategy & Financial Operations Oversight
- Develop and lead the finance strategy and global financial operations, including management of assets and investments
- Identify key strategic finance issues faced by Tostan and develop a plan to address them, including key finance investments needed to provide state of the art research services and scalable programs
- Make actionable recommendations to the CEO and the Senior Leadership team on overall strategy budget and financial operations and oversight
- Participate in key decisions pertaining to operating model, strategic directions and operational execution, including the development of Tostan’s direct and indirect cost structure
- Lead the strategic and action planning for the Finance and Grants Teams, including the setting of milestones and targets to achieve the identified priorities
- Serve as a member of the Senior Leadership Team and Officer of the Corporation, and regularly engage with the Audit and Finance Committee of the Tostan Board of Directors With the rest of the Leadership team, work to continuously build understanding and support for Tostan’s core mission to foster effective collaboration across the organization
- Together with the Senior Leadership Team, identify and address cross-functional organizational priorities and build appropriate organization-wide processes and systems
- Represent Tostan to financial partners, including financial institutions, foundation executives, auditors, as well as Tostan partners.
- Lead and oversee multiple teams and provide mentorship and capacity development to staff
- Review and establish the internal structure of the Finance department to ensure effective coordination and timely financial oversight
Financial Planning, Forecasting and Reporting
- Develop and utilize forward-looking, predictive models and activity-based financial analyses to provide insight into the organization’s operations, business plans, and upcoming needs.
- Oversee the organization’s budgetary planning and cost management in relation with strategic priorities, and the development of long- and short-range financial plans
- Regularly assess organizational performance against the budget and strategy
- Oversee the production of monthly, quarterly and annual reports at all organizational levels, including financial statements and cash flow projections for use by Executive and Board management
Financial Processes, Policies and Systems
- Coordinate audits and proper filing of tax returns including IRS form 990 and similar forms
- Revise financial oversight and financial accountability mechanisms throughout the organization
- Lead the revision and documentation of clear financial policies and procedures at all organizational levels, and ensure that those are communicated and implemented throughout the organization
- In coordination with Finance, Legal, HR, Operations and Country Offices, oversee the development and management of compliance protocols in line with Tostan’s growing and diversified pool of donors and stakeholders Remain up to date on nonprofit finance and audit best practices and state and federal compliance regarding nonprofit financial operations
- Identify the need for, and oversee the implementation of appropriate organization-wide systems that respond to Tostan’s needs and make financial operations more efficient, while ensuring that they are used effectively
- Oversee regular risk assessment processes including financial and non-financial considerations, in partnership with the CEO.
Directly Supervises: Finance, Accounting teams, Operations Liaison Manager Functionally supervises: Administration teams including procurement, logistics and IT Number of Staff Managed: 20 Budget Managed: Tostan’s approved annual budget for 2017 was $9.6m. Tostan’s annual budget for 2018 is expected to be $8m and for 2019 $11m or higher is being sought.
Key Qualifications and Selection Criteria:
CPA highly desirable and MBA preferred
- Ability to lead capacity building efforts and effectively mentor key staff in a multicultural and multilingual environment
- Passionate belief in and commitment to Tostan’s mission to empower African communities to bring about sustainable development and positive social transformation based on respect for human rights
- Deep commitment to and first-hand experience with participatory communities or organizations
- Shares Tostan’s values and has leadership experience bringing similar values to life in organizations and/or communities
- Brings some unique and aligned gift(s) that contributes to Tostan’s long-term success
- Skilful at communicating and bridging understanding to forward strategic priorities and fulfill Tostan mission and vision
- Ability to work in a collaborative, co-creative team, bringing value to the team’s outcomes – enriching, respectful, beneficial
Full Fluency in English and French are required. Knowledge of a local language in which Tostan works is welcomed.
Knowledge & Experience:
- Experience in a senior financial-management role, partnering with executive staff, resulting in the development and implementation of creative financial management strategies
- Proven experience with multi currency financial operations of a complex international not for profit with a diverse funding mix and working in multiple countries in Africa
- 10+ years of experience in accounting and finance
- Direct experience and deep knowledge of working with nonprofit accounting software systems
- Knowledge and ability to design and develop accounting systems and procedures
- Strong knowledge in financial modeling and forecasting
- Knowledge of U.S. accounting standards for not for profit organizations (GAAP)
Chief Executive Officer
The position is located in Thies , Senegal, at Tostan’s International Office. The post will also require occasional travel to Dakar, Senegal, as well to Tostan’s country and/or regional offices in Tostan’s six countries of presence.
How to Apply:
Deadline: Applications will be reviewed continuously. Interested candidates should apply as soon as possible.
Please send a CV and letter of motivation to email@example.com.